Dr Sarah McGill is the Research Manager at the Smith School, where she directs research projects and co-authors publications primarily in the sustainable finance and impact investing stream. She also undertakes her own research across the sustainable finance and environmental management streams and is currently building a programme on financing for sustainable water and waste management infrastructure.
Dr McGill completed her DPhil (PhD) at the Smith School in November 2014. Her doctoral research was concerned with a number of issues surrounding the economic governance of mineral resource scarcity, for which she conducted fieldwork in Morocco's state-owned phosphate mining and fertilizer industry. She also holds a BA (summa cum laude) in East Asian Languages and Cultures from Columbia University, where she studied Chinese language, history, and politics, and an MPhil (with Distinction) in Geography and the Environment, University of Oxford. Previously she has worked as an academic consultant to various financial institutions and consultancies; at the Council on Foreign Relations; and in the environmental services industry.
- Clark, G.L., McGill, S. and Cuñado, J. (2018) Migrant workers, self-reliance, and the propensity to hold income protection insurance by country of residence. Geographical Research.
- Clark, G.L., McGill, S.M., Saito, Y. and Viehs, M. (2015) Shareholder engagement in responsible investing: evidence from a UK institutional investor’s strategy in Japan. Annals in Social Responsibility, 1(1): 30-56.
- Wójcik, D., Kreston, N. and McGill, S. (2013) Freshwater, saltwater and deepwater: efficient market hypothesis versus behavioural finance. Journal of Economic Geography, 13(2): 257-277. Appears in: Special Issue: Global Retail and Global Finance – Honouring Neil Wrigley.
- Hachigian, H. and McGill, S.M. (2012) Reframing the governance challenge for sustainable investment. Journal of Sustainable Finance and Investment.
- McGill, S.M. (2012) ‘Peak’ phosphorus? The implications of phosphate scarcity for sustainable investors. Journal of Sustainable Finance and Investment, 2(3-4): 222-239.
- Clark, G.L., Hachigian, H., McGill, S., Molinari, C. and Wójcik, D. (2015) Addressing the challenges of transformation through sustainable investment. Chapter 46 in, Hebb, T., Hawley, J.P., Hoepner, A.G.F., Neher, A.L. and Wood, D. (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Responsible Investment. Routledge, London. 740 pp. ISBN: 9780415624510.
- McGill, S.M., Viehs, M., Littleford, S.J., Zimba, M., and Dericks, G. (2015) Sustainable Food: Challenges and Opportunities in Global Food Production. Morgan Stanley Institute for Sustainable Investing, New York. 90 pp.
- McGill, S.M. (2013) Natural Resource Scarcity: An Overview of the Issues and the Contributions of the Investor Community to Sustainable Business and Finance. Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment, Oxford. Rothschild Foundation, London. 50 pp.
- Clark, G.L., Urwin, R., Allen, M.R., Wójcik, D., Molinari, C., and McGill, S.M. (2012) Project Telos: Addressing the Challenges of Transformation Through Sustainable Investing. Towers Watson, London