29 January 2016 | Noel Whiteside, Sarah McGill, Roger Fernandez-Urbano, Peiqi Deng | Report
The global population is ageing. Disability rates among working-age people have risen at the same time as public expenditure constraints tighten. What resources are available for households in the event of work incapacity or premature death - what risk of poverty, what strategy for income restitution? This report examines income protection gaps (IPGs) that follow bereavement and both permanent and temporary disability. It outlines protection systems, changing policy strategies, rising risk and growing IPGs to explain the income gap problem. It will consider the varying situation in four broad geographical regions - Continental Europe, Latin America, the English-speaking world, and south Asia - to illustrate the different manifestations of such risks and the means by which they are compensated in different parts of the world.
- Clark, G.L. (2015) The geography of the European central bank: form, functions and legitimacy. Journal of Economic Geography, 15(5): 855-881.
- Clark, G.L., Lai, K.P.Y. and Wójcik, D. (2015) Editorial introduction to the Special Section: Deconstructing offshore finance. Economic Geography, 91(3): 237-249.
- Christopherson, S., Clark, G.L. and Whiteman, J. (2015) Introduction: the Euro crisis and the future of Europe. Journal of Economic Geography, 15(5): 843-844.
- Clark, G.L. (2015) Geography of Finance. In, Wright, J.D. (ed.) International Encyclopedia of the Social and Behavioural Sciences, 2nd edition, vol. 9. Elsevier. pp. 177-182.
- Clark, G.L. and Monk, A.H.B. (2014) State and local pension fund governance and the process of contracting for investment services: the scope of diversity and the problem of embeddedness. Territory, Politics, Governance, 2(2): 150-172.
- Gerrans, P. and Clark, G.L. (2013) Pension plan participant choice: Evidence on defined benefit and defined contribution preferences. Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, 12(4): 351-378.
- Clark, G.L. (2012) From corporatism to public utilities: workplace pensions in the 21st Century. Geographical Research, 50(1): 31-46.
- Clark, G.L. (2012) Pensions or property? Environment and Planning A, 44(5): 1185-1199.
- Clark, G.L., Almond, S. and Strauss, K. (2012) The home, pension savings and risk aversion: intentions of the defined contribution pension plan participants of a London-based investment bank at the peak of the bubble. Urban Studies, 49(6): 1251-1273.
- Clark, G.L. and Monk, A.H.B. (2011) Pension reserve funds: aligning form and function. Rotman International Journal of Pension Management, 4(2): 18-25.