- Senior Research Associate in Complex Systems Economic Modelling
Dr Matthew Ives is an economist and complex systems modeller currently working at Oxford University on the Oxford Martin Post-Carbon Transition Programme. This cutting-edge research programme is focussed on developing solutions to climate change through an understanding of sensitive intervention points in our socioeconomic systems that can enable rapid reductions in emissions. Through this programme Matthew is developing a suite of economic models based on complexity science, combining his experience in systems modelling with his passion for sustainability.
Dr Ives has previously worked both in the private and public sectors on a diverse range of programmes related to sustainability on land, air and sea. His past research ventures have included assessing national decarbonisation pathways in the UK; modelling long-term infrastructure strategies for water, energy, waste and transport for the UK and the United Nations; working on sustainability indicators for the US Forest service; and modelling fisheries in Australia. He has also spent a number of years as a professional software developer.
Matthew holds an Honours degree in Economics, a Masters of environmental management, and a PhD in systems modelling. He is an Oxford Martin School Fellow, a Research Member of Wolfson College, Oxford, and a Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society, England.
- Farmer, J.D., Hepburn, C., Ives, M.C., Hale, T., Wetzer, T., Mealy, P. Rafaty, R., Srivastav, S. and Way, R. (2019) Sensitive intervention points in the post-carbon transition. Science, 364(6436): 132-134.
- Fuldauer, L.I., Ives, M.C., Adshead, D., Thacker, S. and Hall, J.W. (2019) Participatory planning of the future of waste management in small island developing states to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals. Journal of Cleaner Production, 223: 147-162.
- Ives, M.C., Hickford, A.J., Adshead, D., Thacker, S., Hall, J.W., Nicholls, R.J., Sway, T., Abu Ayyash, M., Jones, R. and O'Reagan, N. (2019) A systems-based assessment of Palestine's current and future infrastructure requirements. Journal of Environmental Management, 234: 200-213.
- Ives, M.C., Simpson, M. and Hall, J.W. (2018) Navigating the water trilemma: a strategic assessment of long‐term national water resource management options for Great Britain. Water and Environment Journal.
- Ryan, J.A.C., Ives, M.C. and Dunham, I.M. (2018) The impact of cost of capital reductions on regulated water utilities in England and Wales: an analysis of isomorphism and stakeholder outcomes. Journal of Management and Governance: 1-29.
- Hall, J.W., Thacker, S., Ives, M.C., Cao, Y., Chaudry, M., Blainey, S.P. and Oughton, E.J. (2017) Strategic analysis of the future of national infrastructure. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Civil Engineering, 170(1): 39-47.
- Ives, M. and Thacker, S. (2017) How civil engineers can help the UK meet the Paris Agreement on climate. Proceedings of the Institution of Civil Engineers - Civil Engineering, 170(1).
- Payo, A., Favis-Mortlock, D., Dickson, M., Hall, J.W., Hurst, M., Walkden, M.J.A., Townend, I., Ives, M.C., Nicholls, R.J. and Ellis, M.A. (2017) Coastal Modelling Environment version 1.0: a framework for integrating landform-specific component models in order to simulate decadal to centennial morphological changes on complex coasts. Geoscientific Model Development, 10: 2715-2740.
- Simpson, M., James, R., Hall, J.W., Borgomeo, E., Ives, M.C., Almeida, S., Kingsborough, A., Economou, T., Stephenson, D. and Wagener, T. (2016) Decision Analysis for Management of Natural Hazards. Annual Review of Environment and Resources, 41: 489-516.
- van der Meulen, D., Walsh, C.T., Reinfelds, I., Payne, N.L., Ives, M.C., Roberts, D.G., Craig, J., Gray, C.A. and Taylor, M.D. (2016) Estuarine movements of a hybrid sparid complex. PLOS one.
- Taylor, M.D., van der Meulen, D.E., Ives, M.C., Walsh, C.T., Reinfelds, I.V. and Gray, C.A. (2014) Shock, Stress or Signal? Implications of Freshwater Flows for a Top-Level Estuarine Predator. PLOS one, 9(4).
- Hiteva, R., Ives, M., Weijnen, M. and Nikolic, N. (2018) A Complementary Understanding of Residential Energy Demand, Consumption and Services. In, Foulds, C. and Robison, R. (eds.) Advancing Energy Policy. Palgrave Pivot, Cham.
- Barr, S., Alderson, D., Robson, C. and Ives, M.C. (2016) Database, simulation modelling and visualisation for national infrastructure assessment. In, Tran, M., Hall, J., Hickford, A. and Nicholls, R. (eds.) Planning Infrastructure for the 21st Century: A Systems-of-Systems Methodology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Simpson, M., Ives, M.C., Hall, J. and Kisby, C. (2016) Water supply systems assessment. In, Tran, M., Hall, J., Hickford, A. and Nicholls, R. (eds.) Planning Infrastructure for the 21st Century: A Systems-of-Systems Methodology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- Ives, M.c., Usher, W., Hall, J.W., Siberman, A., Letti, B., Large, J., Blainey, S., Choundry, M., Baruah, P. and Robson, C. (2017) Modelling future scenarios of infrastructure demand for the UK’s National Infrastructure Assessment. Conference: Conference: International Symposia of Next Generation Infrastructure (ISNGI) 2017, London.
- Simpson, M., Ives, M. and Hall, J. (2016) Evaluation of strategies for nature-based solutions to drought: a decision support model at the national scale. EGU General Assembly 2016, held 17-22 April, 2016 in Vienna Austria.
- Ives, M.C., Coello, J., Turner, D., Watson, G.V.R., Stringfellow, A.M., Powrie, W. and Hall, J. (2015) Designing a Solid Waste Infrastructure Management Model for Integration into a National Infrastructure System-of Systems.Dolan, T.and Collins, B. (ed.) International Symposium for Next Generation Infrastructure Conference Proceedings: 30 September - 1 October 2014 International Institute of Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA),Schloss Laxenburg, Vienna, Austria UCL STEaPP, London, UK.. 27-32.