Dr Sarah McGill is a Research Associate at the Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment, where her area of focus is the role of private companies in contributing to environmental and social sustainability. Currently she co-directs the Agile Protection research programme sponsored by Zurich Insurance, which investigates current threats to the sustainability of worker protection systems, and proposes frameworks for social protection in rapidly changing global and national labour markets. She is also a researcher on the GCRF RISE programme.
Previously Sarah co-directed the Smith School's Income Protection Gap research programme (2015-2018). She has also published several papers and reports on environmentally sustainable investing, and has served as a consultant to a number of financial institutions in this area. Sarah holds a BA (summa cum laude) in East Asian Languages and Cultures from Columbia University and an MPhil (with Distinction) in Geography and the Environment, University of Oxford.
- Innocenti, S., Clark, G.L., McGill, S. and Cuñado, J. (2019) The effect of past health events on intentions to purchase insurance: evidence from 11 countries. Journal of Economic Psychology, 74: 1-21. 102204.
- Clark, G.L., McGill, S. and Cuñado, J. (2018) Migrant workers, self-reliance, and the propensity to hold income protection insurance by country of residence. Geographical Research.
- Clark, G.L., McGill, S.M., Saito, Y. and Viehs, M. (2015) Shareholder engagement in responsible investing: evidence from a UK institutional investor’s strategy in Japan. Annals in Social Responsibility, 1(1): 30-56.
- Wójcik, D., Kreston, N. and McGill, S. (2013) Freshwater, saltwater and deepwater: efficient market hypothesis versus behavioural finance. Journal of Economic Geography, 13(2): 257-277. Appears in: Special Issue: Global Retail and Global Finance – Honouring Neil Wrigley.
- Hachigian, H. and McGill, S.M. (2012) Reframing the governance challenge for sustainable investment. Journal of Sustainable Finance and Investment.
- McGill, S.M. (2012) ‘Peak’ phosphorus? The implications of phosphate scarcity for sustainable investors. Journal of Sustainable Finance and Investment, 2(3-4): 222-239.
- McGill, S.M. (2018) The financialization thesis revisited: commodities as an asset class. In, Clark, G.L., Gertler, M., Feldman, M. and Wojcik, D. (eds.) The New Oxford Handbook of Economic Geography. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- Clark, G.L., Hachigian, H., McGill, S., Molinari, C. and Wójcik, D. (2015) Addressing the challenges of transformation through sustainable investment. Chapter 46 in, Hebb, T., Hawley, J.P., Hoepner, A.G.F., Neher, A.L. and Wood, D. (eds.) The Routledge Handbook of Responsible Investment. Routledge, London. 740 pp. ISBN: 9780415624510.
- McGill, S.M., Clark, G.L. and Whiteside, N. (2017) Embracing the Income Protection Gaps Challenge: Options and Solutions. Report prepared for Zurich Insurance Group, Zürich.
- McGill, S.M., Cuñado, J. and Clark, G.L. (2016) Income Protection Gaps: Awareness, Behaviour, Choices. Report prepared for Zurich Insurance Group, Zürich.
- McGill, S.M., Viehs, M., Littleford, S.J., Zimba, M., and Dericks, G. (2015) Sustainable Food: Challenges and Opportunities in Global Food Production. Morgan Stanley Institute for Sustainable Investing, New York. 90 pp.
- Whiteside, N., McGill, S., Fernández-Urbano, R. and Deng, P. (2015) Income Protection Gaps. Report prepared for Zurich Insurance Group, Zürich.
- McGill, S.M. (2013) Natural Resource Scarcity: An Overview of the Issues and the Contributions of the Investor Community to Sustainable Business and Finance. Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment, Oxford. Rothschild Foundation, London. 50 pp.
- Clark, G.L., Urwin, R., Allen, M.R., Wójcik, D., Molinari, C., and McGill, S.M. (2012) Project Telos: Addressing the Challenges of Transformation Through Sustainable Investing. Towers Watson, London