- Performance-based funding for reliable rural water services in Africa. Uptime consortium | May 2019 | Working Paper | D. McNicholl, R. Hope, A. Money, A. Lane, A. Armstrong, N. van der Wilk, M. Dupuis, A. Harvey, C. Nyaga, S. Womble, D. Favre, J. Allen, J. Katuva, T. Barbotte, E. Buhungiro, P. Thomson, and J. Koehler
- Hybridity and Blended Finance | August 2018 | World Water Council Report | Alex Money
- Determinants of Customer Payment Behaviours in the Urban Water Sector: Evidence from Dar es Salaam, Tanzania | March 2016 | Working Paper | Aaron Krolikowski and Rob Hope
- Financial Sustainability for Universal Rural Water Services | August 2015 | Working Paper | Oxford/RFL/UNICEF.
- Insuring against Rural Water Risk - Evidence from Kwale, Kenya | August 2015 | Working Paper | Tim Foster, Rob Hope and Patrick Thomson
- Gro for GooD Inception Workshop Report | June 2015 | Workshop Report | Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment
- From Rights to Results in Rural Water Services - Evidence from Kyuso, Kenya | March 2014 | Working Paper | Rob Hope, Patrick Thomson, Johanna Koehler, Tim Foster and Mike Thomas
- Wireless Water: Improving Urban Water Provision Through Mobile Finance Innovations | April 2013 | Aaron Krolikowski, Xiaolan Fu, Rob Hope
- Mobile Water Payment Innovations in East Africa | 2012 | Rob Hope, Tim Foster, Aaron Krolikowski, Ilana Cohen
- Smart Water Systems | April 2011 | Rob Hope, Alex Money, Michael Rouse, Tim Foster
Research and Policy Briefs
- A multi-decadal and social-ecological systems analysis of community waterpoint behaviours in rural Kenya | May 2018 | Research Brief | Tim Foster and Rob Hope
- Evaluating waterpoint sustainability and access implications of revenue collection approaches in rural Kenya | May 2018 | Research Brief | Tim Foster and Rob Hope
- A critical mass analysis of community-based financing of water services in rural Kenya | May 2018 | Research Brief | Tim Foster
- Risk factors associated with rural water supply failure: A 30-year retrospective study of handpumps on the south coast of Kenya | May 2018 | Research Brief | Tim Foster, Juliet Willetts, Mike Lane, Patrick Thomson, Jacob Katuva and Rob Hope
- How has devolution fared in its first term? Responses from Kwale County at the end of the transition period | February 2017 | Policy Brief | Johanna Koehler
- Poverty Transitions in Kwale County | February 2017 | Policy Brief | Jacob Katuva
- Water policy choices in Kenya's 47 Counties | February 2016 | Policy Brief | Johanna Koehler
- Distributed Monitoring of Shallow Aquifer Level using Community Handpumps | September 2015 | Briefing Note | Patrick Thomson, Heloise Greef, Farah Colchester, David Cilfton and Rob Hope
- Pathways to Water Stewardship in Nairobi | November 2014 | Briefing Note | Rob Hope
- Grasham, C.F., Korzenevica, M. and Charles, K.J. (2019) On considering climate resilience in urban water security: a review of the vulnerability of the urban poor in sub‐Saharan Africa. WIREs Water.
- Greeff, H., Manandhar, A., Thomson, P., Hope, R. and Clifton, D.A. (2019) Distributed inference condition monitoring system for rural infrastructure in the developing world. IEEE Sensors Journal, 19(5): 1820-1828.
- Nowicki, S., Lapworth, D.J., Ward, J.S.T., Thomson, P. and Charles, K. (2019) Tryptophan-like fluorescence as a measure of microbial contamination risk in groundwater. Science of The Total Environment, 646: 782-791.
- Thomson, P., Bradley, D., Katilu, A., Katuva, J., Lanzoni, M., Koehler, J. and Hope, R. (2019) Rainfall and groundwater use in rural Kenya. Science of The Total Environment, 649: 722-730.
- Foster, T., Willetts, J., Lane, M., Thomson, P., Katuva, J. and Hope, R. (2018) Risk factors associated with rural water supply failure: A 30-year retrospective study of handpumps on the south coast of Kenya. Science of The Total Environment, 626: 156-164.
- Garrick, D.E. (2018) Decentralisation and drought adaptation: Applying the subsidiarity principle in transboundary river basins. Interational Journal of the Commons, 12(1): 301-331.
- Garrick, D.E., Hernandez-Mora, N. and O'Donnell, E. (2018) Water markets in federal countries: comparing coordination institutions in Australia, Spain and the Western USA. Regional Environmental Change, 18(6): 1-14.
- Garrick, D.E., Schlager, E., de Stefano, L. and Villamayor-Tomas, S. (2018) Managing the cascading risks of droughts: institutional adaptation in transboundary rivers. Earth's Future, 6(6): 809-827.
- Grafton, R.Q., Williams, J., Perry, C.J., Molle, F., Ringler, C., Steduto, P., Udall, B., Wheeler, S.A., Wang, Y., Garrick, D. and Allen, R.G. (2018) The paradox of irrigation efficiency. Science, 361(6404).
- Hirpa, F.A., Dyer, E., Hope, R., Olago, D.O. and Dadson, S.J. (2018) Finding sustainable water futures in data-sparse regions under climate change: Insights from the Turkwel River basin, Kenya. Journal of Hydrology: Regional Studies, 19: 124-135.
- Hoque, S.F. and Hope, R. (2018) The water diary method – proof-of-concept and policy implications for monitoring water use behaviour in rural Kenya. Water Policy, 20(4): 725-743.
- Hoque, S.F., Quinn, C.H. and Sallu, S. (2018) Differential livelihood adaptation to social-ecological change in coastal Bangladesh. Regional Environmental Change, 18: 451-463.
- Koehler, J. (2018) Exploring policy perceptions and responsibility of devolved decision-making for water service delivery in Kenya's 47 county governments. Geoforum, 92: 68-80.
- Koehler, J., Rayner, S., Katuva, J., Thomson, P. and Hope, R. (2018) A cultural theory of drinking water risks, values and institutional change. Global Environmental Change, 50: 268-277.
- Shand, P., Darling, W.G., Smedley, P.L., Bath, A.H., Mather, J., Melo, T., Hinsby, K., Whitehead, P.G. and Hope, R. (2018) Professor W Mike Edmunds: a pioneer in applied hydrogeochemistry and champion of international collaboration. Hydrogeology Journal, 21(1): 351-356.
- Sinha, R., Gilmont, M., Hope, R. and Dadson, S. (2018) Understanding the effectiveness of investments in irrigation system modernization: evidence from Madhya Pradesh, India. International Journal of Water Resources Development.
- Whitehead, P.G., Bussi, G., Hossain, M.A., Dolk, M., Das, P., Comber, S., Peters, R., Charles, K.J., Hope, R., Hossain, S. (2018) Restoring water quality in the polluted Turag-Tongi-Balu river system, Dhaka: Modelling nutrient and total coliform intervention strategies. Science of The Total Environment, 631-632: 223-232.
- Colchester, F., Marais, H., Thomson, P., Hope, R. and Clifton, D. (2017) Accidental infrastructure for groundwater monitoring in Africa. Environmental Modelling & Software, 91: 241-250.
- Dadson, S., Hall, J.W., Garrick, D., Sadoff, C., Whittington, D. and Grey, D. (2017) Water security, risk, and economic growth: insights from a dynamical systems model. Water Resources Research, 53(8): 6425-6438.
- Foster, T. (2017) A critical mass analysis of community-based financing of water services in rural Kenya. Water Resources and Rural Development, 10: 1-13.
- Foster, T. and Hope, R. (2017) Evaluating waterpoint sustainability and access implications of revenue collection approaches in rural Kenya. Water Resources Research, 53(2): 1473-1490.
- Garrick, D.E. (2017) Water security and adaptation to climate extremes in transboundary rivers of North America. In, Renzetti, S. and Dupont, D.P. (eds.) Water Policy and Governance in Canada. Springer. pp. 121-137.
- Garrick, D.E., Hall, J.W., Dobson, A., Damania, R., Grafton, R.Q., Hope, R., Hepburn, C., Bark, R., Boltz, F., De Stefano, L., O'Donnell, E., Matthews, N. and Money, A. (2017) Valuing water for sustainable development. Science, 358(6366): 1003-1005.
- Hope, R. (2017) A poor choice? Public policy, social choice and the right to water. In, Langford, M. and Russell, A.F.S. (eds.) The Human Right to Water. Cambridge University Press. pp. 601-602. ISBN: 9780511862601.
- Hoque, S.F., Quinn, C.H. and Sallu, S. (2017) Resilience, political ecology, and well-being: an interdisciplinary approach to understanding social-ecological change in coastal Bangladesh. Ecology and Society, 22(2): 1-20.
- Money, A. (2017) Corporate Water Risk and Return. Chapter 9 in, Pereira, L.M., McElroy, C.A., Littaye, A. and Girard, A.M. (eds.) Food, Energy and Water Sustainability: Emergent Governance Strategies. Routledge, London. 278 pp. ISBN: 9781138904095.
- Roic, K., Garrick, D. and Qadir, M. (2017) The Ebb and Flow of Water Conflicts: A Case Study of India and Pakistan. In, Adeel, Z. and Wirsing, R.G. (eds.) Imagining Industan. Springer International Publishing. pp. 49-66.
- Foster, T. and Hope, R. (2016) A multi-decadal and social-ecological systems analysis of community waterpoint payment behaviours in rural Kenya. Journal of Rural Studies, 47(A): 85-96.
- Koehler, J., Thomson, P. and Hope, R. (2016) Mobilizing payments for water service sustainability. In, Broken Pumps and Promises: Incentivizing Impact in Environmental Health. Springer International Publishing. pp. 57-76. ISBN: 978-3-319-28641-9.
- Kovacs, E.K., Kumar, C., Agarwal, C., Adams, W.M., Hope, R.A. and Vira, B. (2016) The politics of negotiation and implementation: a reciprocal water access agreement in the Himalayan foothills, India. Ecology and Society, 21(2): 37.
- Hope, R. (2015) Is community water management the community's choice? Implications for water and development policy in Africa. Water Policy, 17(4): 664-678.
- Koehler, J., Thomson, P. and Hope, R. (2015) Pump-priming payments for sustainable water services in rural Africa. World Development, 74: 397-411.
- Colchester, F.E., Greeff, H., Thomson, P., Hope, R. and Clifton, D.A. (2014) Smart Handpumps: A Preliminary Data Analysis. IET Appropriate Healthcare Technologies (AHT), London, 2014, pp. 1-4.
- Girard, A.M. (2014) Stepping into formal politics: women's engagement in formal political processes in irrigation in rural India. World Development, 57: 1-18.
- Krolikowski, A. (2014) Can mobile-enabled payment methods reduce petty corruption in urban water provision? Water Alternatives, 7(1): 235-255.
- Money, A. (2014) Corporate water risk: a critique of prevailing best practice. Journal of Management and Sustainability, 4(1): 42-59.
- Money, A. (2014) Corporate water risk: investor tolerance of the status quo. Journal of Management and Sustainability, 4(1): 60-75.
- Closas, A. (2013) Norias, boreholes and the role of the state during the groundwater 'silent revolution' in La Mancha, Spain. Hydrogeology Journal, 22(5): 1179-1192.
- Foster, T. (2013) Predictors of sustainability for community-managed handpumps in Sub-Saharan Africa: Evidence from Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Uganda. Environmental Science and Technology, 47(21): 12037-12046.
- Girard, A.M. (2013) Gender and public choice in rural India: can female leaders really influence local governance? Journal of Gender Studies, 24(5): 528-548.
- Hope, R.A. and Rouse, M. (2013) Risks and responses to universal drinking water security. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A, 371(2002): 1-23.
- Foster, T., Hope, R.A., Thomas, M., Cohen, I., Krolikowski, A. and Nyaga, C. (2012) Impacts and Implications of mobile water payments in East Africa. Water International, 37(7): 788-804.
- Hope, R.A., Foster T. and Thomson, P. (2012) Reducing risks to rural water security in Africa. Ambio, 41(7): 773-776.
- Hope, R.A., Foster, T., Money, A. and Rouse, M. (2012) Harnessing mobile communications innovations for water security. Global Policy, 3(4): 433-442.
- Thomson, P., Hope, R.A. and Foster, T. (2012) GSM-enabled remote monitoring of rural handpumps: A proof of concept study. Journal of Hydroinformatics, 14(4): 829-839.
- Thomson, P., Hope, R.A. and Foster, T. (2012) Is silence golden? Of mobiles, monitoring and rural water supplies. Waterlines, 31(4): 280-292.
University of Oxford academics and researchers are strongly committed to, and already very active in, ensuring the widest possible access to research findings for the benefit of the international research community and society more widely. You can find out more on the University's Open Access website. In addition, many of the School's publications have been added to the Oxford University Research Archive. If you lack access and would like to read any of the articles above please contact the authors directly.