Sustainable Finance Executive Programme
A five-day residential workshop at the University of Oxford, our course is an introduction to sustainable finance for professionals working across a range of sectors. It equips participants with essential knowledge the of principles and concepts, as well as an advanced understanding of the latest developments.
The Sustainable Finance Executive Programme (formerly the Sustainable Finance Foundation Course) was launched in 2016 and is is designed to be the premier executive programme on sustainable finance globally. The programme attracts the best and brightest current and future leaders from a diverse range of sectors and delivers a unique in-person experience that equips them with the knowledge and networks required to undertake significant future work on sustainable finance.
The programme has been designed and developed by the Oxford Sustainable Finance Group as an introduction to sustainable finance for professionals working in a range of sectors, for example: executives working in financial institutions that need to understand how sustainability, the environment, and climate change relates to finance and investment; civil servants, regulators, and central bankers working to develop policies that can foster the development of sustainable finance; staff at environmental NGOs who would like to help the global financial system create better environmental outcomes; philanthropic funders looking to navigate sustainable finance topics so as to support the most impactful activities; and trustees or company directors that want to understand how sustainable finance relates to their fiduciary duties.
Participants on the programme engage critically with systems and theories in sustainable finance and investment such as: active ownership, the carbon bubble, climate finance, conservation finance, disclosure, divestment, engagement, ESG, green banks, green bonds, green benchmarks and indices, impact investing, public private partnerships, reporting, responsible investment, stranded assets, and green taxonomies.
The Sustainable Finance Executive Programme is the Oxford Sustainable Finance Group's flagship executive programme. Participants will become part of a growing alumni community and receive invitations to our events and conferences. Alumni also receive a 15% discount on all other Oxford Sustainable Finance Group open enrolment executive programmes.
SFEP alumni will receive invitations to our events and conferences as part of our growing community. Alumni are eligible for a 15% discount on all other Oxford Sustainable Finance Programme open enrolment executive courses.
Through the programme participants will:
- Develop a foundational knowledge in the emerging theories and practice of sustainable finance and investment.
- Become confident in navigating and critically analysing the key aspects and developments in sustainable finance, as well as how to engage with different financial sector stakeholders for collaboration.
- Study how different policies, regulations and supervisory expectations related to sustainable finance are evolving in different jurisdictions, their direction of travel, and opportunities for influence.
- Form a global network of like-minded professionals that are approaching sustainable finance from different angles and professional perspectives.
- Learn from, challenge, and engage in conversation with leading Oxford faculty and expert practitioners who blend research with experience. Cutting edge theory on sustainable finance and investment will be examined using a blend of case-studies, presentations, and Oxford Union-styled debates.
- Embark on a unique 'Oxford experience' and explore first-hand the history that the city has to offer including candlelit college dinners.
The programme is designed to equip participants with essential foundational knowledge of core principles and concepts in sustainable finance, as well as an advanced understanding of the very latest developments. It is an ideal preparation for current and emerging professional examinations in sustainable finance and related areas.
Through the programme participants will form a network of senior practitioners working at the intersection of finance and sustainability. The programme averages about 40 participants on each iteration, with over 50% female representation and attendees from Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, North America and South America.
Previous participants have attended from organisations including:
- Bank of China
- UK Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
- Christian Aid
- Bank of America
- United Nations Environment Programme
- Credit Suisse
- EDF Energy
- Morgan Stanley
- Central Bank of Brazil.
The programme is designed by the Oxford Sustainable Finance Group, and the content is underpinned by its research, faculty and networks. The Oxford Sustainable Finance Group is a multidisciplinary research centre working to be the world's best place for research and teaching on sustainable finance and investment. It was established in 2012 to align the theory and practice of finance and investment with global environmental sustainability.
The programme blends academic expertise with professional insight with contributions from leading Oxford faculty and world-class contributors from across the public and private sectors.
Previous speakers have included:
- Emma Howard Boyd CBE, Chair, Environment Agency
- Catherine Howarth, Chief Executive, ShareAction
- Mark Zinkula, fomer CEO, Legal & General Investment Management
- Michael Sheren, Senior Advisor, Bank of England
- Charlie Kronick, Senior Climate Advisor, Greenpeace UK
- Sir Martin Smith, Founding Benefactor, Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment, University of Oxford
- Shaun Kingsbury CBE, Former CEO, UK Green Investment Bank
- Jane Ambachtsheer, Global Head of Sustainability, BNP Paribas Asset Management
- Dr Jacob Schumacher
In order to apply please complete an online application form.
Applicants will be expected to demonstrate their suitability for the programme in terms of:
- The relevance of the programme to their occupation and organisation
- Their experience and potential, particularly in areas related to programme content
Applications are reviewed for suitability to the programme, and if the application is accepted, notification will be sent with a link for online payment.
Payment is due within 30 days of notification of acceptance, or 6 weeks before the programme begins, whichever is sooner. Registration will be confirmed on receipt of full payment of the programme fee. Places are allocated in order of receipt of payment. Prices are subject to revision.
Please read our full Terms and Conditions.
Fees & funding
The course fee includes all teaching costs, ensuite accommodation at an Oxford college for five nights, breakfast, lunch and several dinners. It does not include the cost of travel to and from Oxford, visas, insurance or any personal expenses.
Participants will become part of a growing alumni community and receive invitations to our events and conferences. Alumni also receive a 15% discount on all other Oxford Sustainable Finance Group open enrolment executive programmes.
|Public sector & civil society||£4,250|
We have a small number of scholarships for applicants from the public sector and civil society, in particular for candidates from developing countries.
Scholarships will cover a proportion of the course fees depending on need, and are intended to increase diversity and accessibility.
To be considered for a scholarship please ensure you select the appropriate option on the application form.
Application form – collection notice