Our vision is a net-zero emissions future supported by a sustainable global economic and financial system – a healthy planet and a more prosperous, fairer world. We help to achieve that vision through our world-leading research, teaching and partnerships.
- Our research delivers business-focused solutions to stabilise the climate and protect our natural world, by shifting the global economic and financial system to sustainability.
- Education is at the heart of our mission – we equip the next generation through undergraduate and graduate teaching, and empower business leaders through executive education.
- We host public lectures and academic conferences, and convene business, finance and enterprise partners from around the world.
Who we are
The Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment was established in 2008 through the generosity of Sir Martin and Lady Elise Smith, and their family. We believe that to address climate change and environmental sustainability, it is essential to bring business into the conversation.
Our work draws on our multi-disciplinary researchers who collaborate with like-minded academics from across our home institution, the University of Oxford. A number of our staff hold joint appointments or are affiliated with other parts of the university including at the School of Geography and Environment, the Saïd Business School, the Institute of New Economic Thinking, the Economics department, the Law faculty, and the Oxford Martin School.
We are based at the School of Geography and the Environment. This gives us invaluable access to the department's Environmental Change Institute and the Transport Studies Unit, as well as their expertise in delivering outstanding teaching.
Find out more
- Read about our Founders
- Take a look at our research themes: Biodiversity, Climate, Energy, Food, Regenerative economy and Water
- Find an executive education course
Our MSc in Sustainability, Enterprise and the Environment (MSEE) aims to address two fundamental challenges of our time: making the transition to a zero-carbon and environmentally sustainable economic model, and simultaneously enabling sustainable development for everyone, poor and rich alike.
P3S Academy delivers masterclass in Sustainable Finance for Japanese policymakers and regulators
On Monday 27 March the Public and Third Sector Academy for Sustainable Finance (P3S Academy) at the University of Oxford held a Masterclass in Sustainable Finance for Japanese policymakers and regulators.
Smith School expands its flagship MSc programme
The MSc in Sustainability, Enterprise and the Environment (MSc SEE) at the Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment, University of Oxford is expanding in 2023 and will admit 35 students in its September intake, up from 25 in previous years.
Oxford & Insight Investment launch research prize for green finance
The University of Oxford has announced a new research prize for greening finance, established with an endowment from Insight Investment, a £653.6bn1 global asset and risk manager.