- Departmental Lecturer and Course Director, MSc Sustainability, Enterprise and the Environment
Laurence Wainwright is Course Director of the MSc in Sustainability, Enterprise and the Environment and a Departmental Lecturer. A teaching and learning oriented academic, Laurence has a decade of experience in lecturing, facilitation and supervision across universities in Australia, Sweden and the United States. Laurence is passionate about the holistic development of the students who he teaches and helping them to develop into well-rounded individuals with a mindset of intellectual curiosity and courage, continuous self-improvement and service to a mission beyond themselves. He has a deep interest in the higher education sector, and has served in numerous boards, committees and panels.
Laurence completed his doctoral studies in Business Administration at the University of Gothenburg in Sweden. Laurence's PhD thesis used the contextual domain of the Swedish fishing industry in order to consider how contests to organizational legitimacy manifest around sustainability debates. Eighteen months of this programme was spent at the University of California Berkeley Haas School of Business, and an additional six months across multiple universities in China, Denmark, Italy and the Netherlands.
Laurence also holds a Master of Science in Sustainable Development from Uppsala University, a Master of Education from the Queensland University of Technology, and a Graduate Certificate in Higher Education Teaching and Learning, Bachelor of Accounting and Bachelor of Business (Honours) from the University of Technology Sydney.
Prior to commencing his academic career, Laurence worked briefly in the finance industry. He has also spent time in the volunteer not-for-profit sector, where he assisted homeless people in Sydney to improve their résumés and find employment. Outside of work Laurence enjoys reading, fishing and being in nature.
Past teaching experience:
University of California, Berkeley
School of Public Health
- PHW 236A Regulatory Science, Drug Development and Public Health (Graduate)
Haas School of Business, Centre for Responsible Business
- XMBA296 Sustainable Business in the Nordics (Executive MBA)
- 192T Sustainable Business in the Nordics (Undergraduate)
University of Gothenburg
School of Business, Economics and Law, Department of Business Administration
- GMO803 Strategy and Organization (Graduate)
- GM0801 Management and Leadership (Graduate)
- Västra Götalandsregionen medical doctors professional development: Research Methodology
University of Technology Sydney
UTS Business School
- 22157 Australian Corporate Environment (Undergraduate)
- 26100 Integrating Business Perspectives (Undergraduate)
- 21129 Managing People and Organizations (Undergraduate)
- 21510 Business Futures (Undergraduate)
- Wainwright, L. (2020) Contested legitimacy: the shrimp sustainability saga in Sweden. PhD thesis at the University of Gothenburg (Sweden). Repro Lorensberg Print, Göteborg
- Wainwright, L. (2020) Underutilised augmentation strategies for mood disorders. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 54(5).
- Strand, R. and Wainwright, L. (2019) CSR and Leadership. In, Pedersen, E.R.G. (ed.) Corporate Social Responsibility. 2nd Edition. Sage Publishing, Thousand Oaks, CA.
- Strand, R. and Wainwright, L. (2019) Nordic Sustainability as a focus of Scandinavian Departments at U.S. Universities: An Opportunity? Presented at Corporate Sustainability Leadership? The Nordics and California conference, UC Berkeley March 2019.
- Sundin, H., and Wainwright, L. (2010) Approaches to integrating social and environmental accounting (SEA) into accounting majors in Australian universities. Social and Environmental Accountability Journal, 30(2): 80-95.