Philipp Trotter is a Research Associate in Renewable Energy at the Smith School of Enterprise and the Environment at the University of Oxford. His research focuses on electrification in sub-Saharan Africa, covering both technical aspects of energy planning optimisation as well as quantitative and qualitative policy analyses and design. In his current research project, he engages with public and private energy sector stakeholders as well as rural communities in Uganda and Zambia to understand how rural electrification can best be driven domestically.
He has several years of experience working in the energy sector of emerging economies. Prior to his academic career, he worked with several large-scale energy utilities in Africa, Asia and Europe as a consultant with McKinsey & Company. He is a Globalizer Advisor for Ashoka International, having worked on scale-up strategies for social businesses in Africa, Asia and the US. He studied for his PhD at the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Bath, and holds an Energy Engineering Diplom degree from RWTH Aachen University (Distinction), as well as an MSc in Politics of the Developing World from LSE (Distinction).
Module title: content
- Kruger, W., Stritzke, S., and Trotter, P.A. (2019) De-risking solar auctions in sub-Saharan Africa - a comparison of site selection strategies in South Africa and Zambia. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 104: 429-438.
- Trotter, P.A. and Abdullah, S. (2018) Re-focusing foreign involvement in sub-Saharan Africa's power sector on sustainable development. Energy for Sustainable Development, 44: 139-146.
- Trotter, P.A., Maconachie, R. and McManus, M.C. (2018) Solar energy's potential to mitigate political risks: The case of an optimised Africa-wide network. Energy Policy, 117: 108-126.
- Trotter, P.A., Maconachie, R. and McManus, M.C. (2017) The impact of political objectives on optimal electricity generation and transmission in the Southern African Power Pool. Journal of Energy in Southern Africa, 28(3): 27-42.
- Trotter, P.A., McManus, M.C. and Maconachie, R. (2017) Electricity planning and implementation in sub-Saharan Africa: A systematic review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews: 1189-1209.
- Trotter, P.A. (2016) Rural electrification, electrification inequality and democratic institutions in sub-Saharan Africa. Energy for Sustainable Development, 34: 111-129.