UK Centre for Greening Finance & Investment
The UK Centre for Greening Finance and Investment (CGFI) is a national centre set up to accelerate the adoption and use of climate and environmental data and analytics by financial institutions. We are a multidisciplinary team with a track record of delivering high-impact research, tools, analytics, and information relevant to a range of financial institution needs.
CGFI will evolve into the focal point for financial institutions to access and use consistent, timely, and appropriate climate and environmental data and analytics for any point on planet earth historically, in the present, and projected into the future, for every major sector, and for the complete spectrum of material climate and environmental factors.
We aim to:
- Deliver quality-assured, robust, and openly accessible climate and environmental data and analytics to all financial institutions.
- Provide an easy-to-use platform for practitioners to access data and analytics, and combine with their proprietary information.
- Work with financial institutions to demonstrate the benefits of integrating climate and environmental analytics.
- Create a focal point for outreach and for stakeholders to access CGFI services, training, data, and capabilities.
- Mainstream spatial finance – the integration of geospatial data and analysis into financial theory and practice.
CGFI is funded by UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) and led by the Smith School. New physical hubs in Leeds and London will support companies and start-ups commercialise products that can green global finance. They include tools that measure:
- storm and flood risk facing properties
- the pollution created by companies and the liabilities that result.
We work with finance professions, such as the Chartered Bankers Institute and Chartered Financial Analysts UK, to ensure that every professional financial decision takes climate change into account. Our team includes both career researchers and those with practitioner backgrounds.