We actively engage with a wide range of partners in the public, private, and not-for-profit sectors to translate research insight into practical application. Such engagement can take various forms, from executive education and contribution to public discourse to (formal or informal) advisory work and direct consulting.
To illustrate the scope of our work, we have:
- Coordinated a memo for the draft strategy and enforcement policy consultation run by the Office for Environmental Protection (OEP).
- Conducted research on climate change impacts in the Arctic for WWF.
- Provided evidence for climate-related lawsuits in Brazil, France, Germany, the Netherlands, and at the European Court of Human Rights.
- Engaged with policy makers at the highest levels, including at the IMF, Bank of England, European Central Bank, UNEP FI, and various governments.
- Thom Wetzer has been appointed to ESMA’s Sustainable Finance Expert Group.
- Provided training for judges from the Inter-American Court of Human Rights and other judges from apex courts in Latin America, October 2023.
- Helped set up the new UK Centre for Greening Finance & Investment, working at the intersection of law and finance to green the financial system, where Thom Wetzer will lead the work on climate-related legal risk.
- Acted as co-lead authors on the UNEP Adaptation Gap Report (2021), where we highlighted the emerging consequences of COVID-19 on climate adaptation planning and finance.
- Advised governments and parliamentarians including in the UK, the Netherlands, Germany, the EU, and the US on legislation and financial support packages in relation to the sustainability transition.
- Advised the Philippines House Committee on Climate Change on the ‘CLIMA’ bill submitted to the House of Representatives in November 2023.
- Advised pension funds, asset managers, banks, and family offices on green investment and governance strategies.
- Contributed to the public debate, for example at a public seminar series hosted by the Oxford Martin School on "Climate justice & achieving net-zero”.
- Helped launch the Net Zero Lawyers Alliance, the first global alliance of leading commercial law firms committed to the transition to net zero.
- Worked with journalists on a range of stories, both on and off the record, for some of the world’s leading publications.
For general questions about the programme please email Oxford Sustainable Law Programme information.